Rock salt is another name for the mineral halite which is commonly known as sodium chloride and has a chemical formula NaCl.It is commonly known as table salt or "Sendha namak" or "kala namak".
There is a difference between the rock salt and the common salt that we mostly consume. Sendha namak is the purest form of rock salt that is available in India in small quantities. Thus, it is costlier than commercial salt. Unlike commercial salt which is iodized, rock salt is more granular with large chunky crystals, has less salty taste and is not chemically processed. It can be used as a healthy substitute of common salt as it is rich in minerals and does not pose health problems like high blood pressure, puffiness in the body or eyes.
Benefits of Rock Salt:
- It aids in digestion and is prescribed for laxative and digestive disorders. It improves appetite, removes gas and soothes heartburn.
- It facilitates the cellular absorption of minerals. It plays an important role in replenishing the body's electrolytes and maintaining the pH balance.
- It stabilizes blood pressure by maintaining a balance of high and low blood pressures.
- It aids in weight loss by equalizing minerals which inhibit cravings and eliminate fat dead cells.
- Rock salt is used as a home remedy for curing many disorders and ailments such as rheumatic pain and herpes, inflammation and irritation from insect bites.
- It is beneficial for people suffering from respiratory problems and sinus.Gargling with rock salt helps relieves throat pain, throat swelling, dry cough and tonsils.
- Having brine made with rock salt with a glass of spring water can provide relief in case of arthritis, rheumatism, kidney and bladder stones.
- Rock salt can be used as a teeth whitener or mouth freshener.
- One of the most amazing benefits of rock salt is that it overcomes muscle cramps.
- It helps in maintaining the flow of salivary and digestive juices.
- Rock salt exfoliates the dead skin cells and protects the natural layer of your skin, thus resulting in a youthful and glowing skin.
- It also strengthens the skin tissue to rejuvenate your skin, thus making it look younger and firm.
- Due to its excellent cleansing properties, rock salt helps in removing dead skin cells and dirt from your hair without stripping off its natural healthy oil.
- Rock salt mixed with the juices of lemon and ginger when taken in the morning and evening on a daily basis can help in curing skin enlargement.
- Himalayan rock salt can be used in cooking either in whole pieces or ground up for more delicate seasoning. Because of their larger size, Himalayan rock salt pieces are best added whole to soups, stews and sauces where the high liquid content lets them dissolve easily.
- Consumption of rock salt along with lemon juice can help ieliminating stomach worms and controlling vomiting. It also provides relief against influenza.